Friday, November 12, 2010

Splurged

I have been for a while now wanting to upgrade my tank. I admit a 10 gal isn't enough soon after I started. Not that there is anything wrong with my 10 gal but being my first tank I realized things I wanted to do but couldn't because of space. 10 gal tank is totally a gateway drug! Great for beginners as a learning tool but you soon realized you want more. So the time came for a new tank. Money wise not so much but then that is there reason for this post.

I cruise Craigslist to see what people have for sale and pet store websites for bargains. Then I got an email for Petsmart with a four days only sale. 29 gal Top Fin starter kit reg $129.99 was $20 off. Not great but decent for a kit. I look at the tanks every time I go in my local Petsmart. Checking prices and getting ideas. A 20 gal Top Fin tank is somewhere around $60 and a 29 gal is about $90. So $109.00 for the starter kit again was decent compared to buying the extra gear.

Luckily it is was pay week so I went in this morning to look at the sale items. There it was the Top Fin starter on sale with you pet perks card. I'm looking at the details and checking the box for any damage. Just trying to be consumer savvy. Low and Behold on the self below was a Marineland 29 gal kit for $90. Boy Howdy! Pretty much the same stuff: hood w/ fluorescent light, power filter bio-wheel(been curious about those), 200 watt heater, a net and plenty of sample packs for food and water conditioner. The box does say a digital thermometer was included but sadly it was one of those cheap thermo strips.

I just got home with it, while riding the bus (ugh, cumbersome), inspected it, started this blog and now unfortunately have to get ready for work. I will start another blog of this new tank and unlike my 10 gal, try and keep up the blog as the setup progresses. Plus I need to clean up a bit and rearrange my room. But I am Excited! My fishies will have a new home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment